Getting Off the Gerbil Wheel of Life
It’s easy to get stuck in automatic pilot mode when there’s “so much to do, so little time to do it”! Especially when we have demanding jobs, lead busy lives, have family and friends with whom we share life’s joys and sorrows, or when we’re committed to worthwhile local or global projects.
So, when do we take the time to “do good” for ourselves, nurture our souls, nourish the body, quiet the mind? When do we step off the wheel of simply reacting so that we can respond to life fully - not only with our minds, but with body, heart, mind and spirit?
If we’re willing to set aside even 10 minutes of our day (even five minutes twice a day!) and turn our attention inward, we start to reap the benefits immediately. To that end, I’d like to share with you 10 Uplifting Questions by Gail Brenner, PhD, author of The End of Self Help, that can help you find the inspiration to take a break from the proverbial gerbil wheel.
1. What is most alive in me right now?
2. What is life asking of me?
3. What can I surrender right now that isn’t serving?
4. What false beliefs am I taking to be true?
5. Can I say “Yes!” to what’s happening in this moment?
6. What am I avoiding that is asking for my attention?
7. Can I welcome what’s happening in my body right now?
8. Can I stop, breathe, and simply be aware?
9. Who or what am I?
10. Can I open to what is present right now?
Leave a Reply.
Nina Lockwood, MSW, HTCP, is a healer, teacher and coach.