Ever find yourself stuck on a left-brain runaway train? Your thoughts (not happy ones ) are out of control and they’re taking you with them? Here are 10 things you can do to put on the brakes and shift gears to a more positive and even-tempered state of mind.
Although it does take some time and effort to clear out the old and build new states of mind, with each step you take you’ll achieve much more than you would have thought possible!
1. Look for the positive in life. The longer you can hold something in your awareness, the longer your neurons will fire and wire together, and the memory will be that much stronger.
2. Consciously feel the emotions and body sensations in these experiences so you can “anchor” them in your bodymind,.
3. Acknowledge the satisfaction or reward in every positive experience.
4. Add to each experience by recalling and reinforcing other situations or outcomes that were similar.
5. Use a visualization process to support the experience in penetrating your being. Perhaps you see this experience as healthy sunshine being absorbed into your body. Or maybe you imagine your bodymind as a sponge filling with water. Open yourself to a full sense-around moment to really take in all the positive emotions, sensations and thoughts.
6. As best you can, relax and let go. This will quiet any fight-or-flight reaction and can reduce any cellular damage that results from feeling stressed.
7. Breathe! Take some nice, deep breaths so you increase the oxygen that’s coming in to your body and help remove any toxins.
8. Be mindful. Be the observer, not the participant, when troubling events occur. You can actually develop a compassionate curiosity about events going on both within and outside you. You may even find humor in what you see.
9. Choose to release any reactive or resistant thoughts or feelings that are part of a chemical reaction moving through your bloodstream. It only lasts 90 seconds, so if you can just let it move through you, without getting caught up, you can choose a healthier response .
10. Find Refuge. In the heat of the moment, let down your guard and gather strength and wisdom by connecting with anything or anyone who provides a sense of sanctuary and protection. Whether it’s done directly with someone or something or by turning inward, you’ll be developing your own internal locus of safety, security and groundedness.
Leave a Reply.